- USPLabs agrees to recall and destroy dietary supplement following FDA actions
- Reports: ESI may start 'price war' over new hepatitis C drugs
- GPhA: FDA’s proposed rule on prescription drug labeling adds $4 billion to healthcare costs
- FDA advisory panel to consider OTC status of NSAIDs
- 21 health industry groups address FDA on proposed changes to generic drug label rules
PITTSBURGH — The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration last year initiated programs that will breathe new life into sales of smoking-cessation products. The surgeon general issued a report titled “How Tobacco Smoke Causes Disease,” and the FDA will be mandating that tobacco manufacturers have smoking-is-bad-for-you messages on packaging.
Cessation market leader GlaxoSmithKline also has been actively promoting the category, signing “Celebrity Rehab’s” Dr. Drew Pinsky as the spokesman for the franchise and launching its Nicorette Mini-Lozenge last spring.