- Merlo puts stamp on his leadership in fourth-quarter earnings call
- Walgreens partners with U.S. health agencies to combat heart disease
- Rite Aid partners with Envision Insurance to offer Medicare Part D Rx drug plan
- Changing Medicare eligibility age shifts costs to employers, younger seniors
- CVS Caremark acquires Universal American
ARLINGTON, Va. — The Healthcare Distribution Management Association on Tuesday honored Rep. John Shimkus, R-Ill., with its Rx Safety and Healthcare Leadership Award. The award recognizes public officials for their leadership and commitment to policies that support and promote the safe and efficient delivery of medicines.
Shimkus has been a consistent supporter of policies that enhance healthcare supply chain security and efficiency, the association stated. For example, he is an original co-sponsor of bipartisan legislation (H.R. 905) to correct the treatment of prompt pay discounts under the Medicare Part B average sales price reimbursement metric for prescription drugs and biologics. The legislation would enhance patient access to these medications and increase supply chain efficiencies that distributors provide to the healthcare system when servicing physicians who participate in the Part B program, HDMA noted.
“Congressman Shimkus recognizes the critical role of HDMA distributors, who not only deliver lifesaving medications safely and efficiently, but [also] save the nation’s healthcare system $32 billion annually,” stated HDMA president and CEO John Gray.