- Supervalu now features Stayhealthy HealthCENTER Kiosks
- Supervalu commits to fixing retail banners, reports positive IDs for Save-A-Lot
- Two Supervalu board members, both with Cerberus, resign in wake of Safeway/Albertsons deal
- Supervalu reorganizes independent business unit
- Supervalu launches fleet of natural gas-powered trucks out of Virginia
ST. PAUL, Minn. — Supervalu banner Cub Foods has partnered with a local produce grower to provide year-round local produce to locations throughout the Twin Cities.
Produce from BrightFarms' 38,000-sq.-ft. greenhouse will be sold at Cub Foods, which is committed to sourcing more local produce and increasing sustainability. Each year, BrightFarms' St. Paul greenhouse will grow more than 350,000 lbs. of lettuces, tomatoes, and herbs delivered within hours to supermarket shelves. BrightFarms will complete the greenhouse and begin delivering produce in fall 2012.
"Cub Foods is committed to being the local neighborhood grocer for customers throughout the Twin Cities and we are excited about the many possibilities this greenhouse can present in the future," Cub Foods SVP operations Chuck Lynch said. "Consumers will have new opportunities to get fresh, locally grown and sustainable produce year-round as a result of this project."