- Report: Dietary supplements utilized as preventive health care can save health system tens of billions of dollars
- Clif Bar introduces Clif Mojo Fruit & Nut and Clif Mojo Dark Chocolate
- Sneakz shake gets national launch
- FortiFX, celebrity chef Robert Irvine unveil new baked protein bars
- Maker of Clif energy bars expands portfolio with Zbar protein bar for kids
PITTSBURGH — NuGo Nutrition on Wednesday announced the launch of its diabetic-friendly meal-replacement bar product line called NuGo Slim. The line is being billed as the first almost sugar-free high-protein bar made without maltitol, an artificial sweetener. The 2 g of sweet goodness comes naturally from real dark chocolate, the company stated.
The NuGo Slim bars contain 15 g of protein and have 180 calories and 2.5 g of saturated fat. Chicory root, a natural dietary fiber, adds 9 g of fiber and naturally sweetens the body of the bar.
NuGo Slim is certified gluten-free by the Gluten-Free Certification Organization and OU Kosher-certified by the Orthodox Union. The initial launch includes three flavors: brownie crunch, roasted peanut and raspberry truffle. Suggested retail price will be less than $2.
Such artificial sweeteners as maltitol or other sugar alcohols typically found in low-sugar and sugar-free bars can cause gastric distress, such as bloating, stomach cramps and other pain, the company suggested. Similarly, the NuGo bars do not contain high-fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils or trans fats.
NuGo Nutrition is officially unveiling the product line at the Natural Products Expo East at the Baltimore Convention Center Sept. 22 to 24.