- Safeway 1-of-15 employers receiving the 2013 Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award
- In wake of Sobeys' deal, Safeway reports 1.2% quarterly increase in same-store sales
- Reuters: Safeway a target for possible buyout
- Safeway begins exit of Chicago market
- Safeway awarded Secretary of Defense Employer Support Freedom Award
GOODLETTSVILLE, Tenn. — A former Safeway executive has joined Dollar General as its EVP store operations.
Effective March 19, Greg Sparks will assume all responsibilities for the operations of more than 9,900 retail stores in 38 states and serve on Dollar General's real estate and store development committee, the company said. Sparks will report to chairman and CEO Rick Dreiling.
Sparks most recently served as president of Safeway's Seattle division. His departure from the supermarket retailer was announced earlier this week.
“Greg is a proven leader with a breadth of retail experience across both operations and merchandising. Given that I have known Greg for 20 years and have had the opportunity to follow his career during this time, I believe Greg will be a great addition to Dollar General and help take our business to new levels of success,” Dreiling said.