- ROUNDTABLE: Pharmacy’s future in sync with technology
- CVS Caremark to stop selling tobacco in all store locations
- EXPERT BLOG: Provider status for pharmacists — one way or another
- Kathleen Sebelius cites pharmacists' importance as Rite Aid CEO introduces Obamacare resource program
- New Rite Aid group VP pharmacy initiatives and clinical services to oversee Wellness Ambassador program
BUENA PARK, Calif. — Dr. Fresh, the maker of the FireFly light-up timer toothbrush, has kicked off a Facebook fundraising initiative to raise awareness and funds for the cleft lip and palate charity Smile Train.
As of April 12, the company is donating $1 for every new "like" on FireFly's Facebook page, up to $2,500, to Smile Train. Smile Train provides surgery for children in developing countries suffering from cleft lip and/or palates, a common birth defect, as well as specialized training for medical professionals to make surgery more accessible.
"Cleft surgery is a low-cost, high-impact intervention with dramatic, immediate and permanent results. It is largely taken for granted in the United States and in Europe, but in developing countries, affected families cannot afford this simple procedure," stated Puneet Nanda, founder and CEO of Dr. Fresh. "The FireFly brand is proud to partner with an organization that the New York Times has called 'one of the most productive charities — dollar for deed — in the world.' Smile Train puts smiles on the faces of children whose opportunities are impacted not only by their financial circumstances, but also by this heartbreaking condition."