- Merlo: CVS Caremark positioned to 'effectively compete' in PBM industry
- Walgreens all systems go for 2013; reports 4Q, annual sales
- Walgreens makes case of value outside of Express Scripts in SEC filing
- Strong 3Q, ability to retain ESI patients, finds CVS Caremark execs bullish
- Walgreens confident in Q2 results following Express Scripts exit Jan. 1
WASHINGTON — One day after the National Association of Chain Drug Stores launched a radio ad in the Washington, D.C., market that warned of the potential consequences of the merger between pharmacy benefit managers Express Scripts and Medco, the PBMs have debuted their own ad, which seeks to highlight the benefits of the deal.
The ad, which will be displayed across several publications Tuesday and Wednesday, including Roll Call, CQ, Politico and others, said the deal will drive out wasteful spending, lower costs for consumers, improve health outcomes and increase safety and affordability. "At no time in the history of American healthcare has there been a greater need for innovation," the ad reads. "By working together, Express Scripts and Medco can accelerate their unique abilities to improve patient care. Moving forward as one company, we’ll continue doing what’s right for America."
A congressional hearing pertaining to the merger is expected to be held this week. Earlier this month, the Federal Trade Commission requested additional information on the merger via a "second request."