- ROUNDTABLE: Pharmacy’s future in sync with technology
- EXPERT BLOG: Provider status for pharmacists — one way or another
- Coalition of healthcare industry stakeholders address best practices regarding controlled substances
- Study from NCPA sheds new light on med synchronization programs
- Senate passes Drug Quality and Security Act
PITTSBURGH — Giant Eagle may be a regional player, but the company’s willingness to experiment with its pharmacy formats — including its latest HBW/pharmacy store-within-a-store concept — proves that it can shake things up.
In fall 2009, Giant Eagle put into motion its health, beauty, wellness pilot tests — a new wellness format that helps bridge the prescription files of the pharmacy with the natural health-and-wellness opportunities across the front end.
Creating a “whole health” destination for Giant Eagle customers is a key focus for Randy Heiser, Giant Eagle VP pharmacy. For example, store pharmacists proactively consult with patients whenever they fill a prescription for a new-to-them medicine as part of the initiative. Looking forward, this concept will afford cross-referral opportunities across Giant Eagle’s team of healthcare professionals — the pharmacist, dietitians and on-site nutritionists and licensed aestheticians.