- Family Dollar elevates Jason Reiser to chief merchandising officer; president and COO Michael Bloom departs
- Harris Teeter acquires six Piggly Wiggly locations, and one future location, in the Charleston, S.C., market
- Harris Teeter shareholders approve proposed Kroger merger agreement
- Safeway deal is more than the sum of its parts
- Jason Reiser takes on SVP/lead merchandising officer role at Family Dollar
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Two North Carolina-based grocery stores have announced a purchase and sale agreement.
Harris Teeter will acquire 10 of the Lowes Foods' store locations in the central Carolinas region, while Lowes Foods will acquire six Harris Teeter store locations in western North Carolina. In addition to six of its stores being acquired by Lowes Foods, Harris Teeter said it also will pay the latter $26.5 million. The transaction is expected to be completed in the company's third quarter of fiscal 2012, which ends July 1.
"This transaction aligns with our strategic plans to replace rural store locations with more urban locations with higher density of our target demographic groups," Harris Teeter board chairman and CEO Thomas Dickson said. "It provides us with the opportunity to explore in selected locations an innovative format that we think our customers will find exciting."