- Walgreens firing on all cylinders as chain realizes a total comp sales increase of 5.4% for its first quarter
- Walgreens launches exclusive beauty publication 'Discover Beauty Within'
- Todd Vasos named Dollar General COO; former Duane Reade exec joins Dollar General executive team
- Bloomberg: Greg Wasson joins thought leaders to discuss the state of health care in the United States
- Category management veteran Mike Cirilli joins L&R Distributors
Before Walgreens bought out Duane Reade, the intersection of Avenue J and East 15th Street in Brooklyn was home to a Walgreens and a Duane Reade store. Shortly after the purchase, Walgreens shut down the Duane Reade store, an older store that had a less visible location under elevated railway tracks. Now, independent pharmacies along Avenue J are trying to attract the business of former Duane Reade customers.
In a predominantly Orthodox Jewish neighborhood, J Drugs touts not only its services — such as free delivery — but also its ability to cater to the local community with prominently displayed Hebrew lettering on its sign.