- Todd Vasos named Dollar General COO; former Duane Reade exec joins Dollar General executive team
- ‘Out of this world’ display takes top nod in annual Design of the Times awards
- Rexall taps savvy vet Kelly for top merchant role
- Walgreens fine-tunes senior leadership, creates greater synergy between merchandising, operations arms
- Family Dollar names new SVP merchandising and announces search for new chief merchandising officer
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. The Global Market Development Center last week awarded its 2010 Lifetime Achievement Award to Jerry Barnes at its Health Beauty Wellness Marketing Conference in Orlando, Fla.
GMDC annually bestows this honor on a person who has contributed significantly to the general merchandise and health, beauty and wellness industries, as well as to GMDC through his or her leadership.
"Jerry's contributions have been very unique, as he served as a key leader as both a member and as a senior manager on our staff," stated David McConnell, GMDC president. "Jerry had a very successful career inside the industry, which began in the late 1960s when he joined Fleming Foods in Topeka, Kan. In 1982, he left Fleming to go to Carr-Gottstein Foods in Anchorage, Alaska, where he served as corporate VP merchandising and GMDC's chairman," McDonnell added. "I think Jerry did his most significant work on behalf of GMDC when, as chairman of the board, he helped facilitate the merger between GMDC and the former National Association of Service Merchandising in 1994. In his many years as a staff member, he has truly served as a catalyst for membership growth and expansion as he's captured the trust of the membership through his knowledge of the business and passion for GMDC."
Jerry Barnes has been a regular participant at GMDC Marketing Conferences for more than 20 years and served as chairman of the association in 1994. Since 1996 he has served on the GMDC staff in his role as VP member services.