- Reports: Polar vortex drives blizzard of sales for some retailers
- Meijer offers free flu, strep tests and dispenses drugs at some Mich. stores as part of NACDS Foundation-supported study
- Meijer launches complimentary Wi-Fi service in its stores
- Senate passes Drug Quality and Security Act
- Walgreens gets top score among drug chains in Human Rights Campaign's Corporate Equality Index
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Meijer announced Friday some structural changes to its business, including the appointment of a chief operating officer, a newly created position.
Meijer said its EVP merchandising and marketing J.K. Symancyk will serve in the new role. Symancyk will report Meijer president Mark Murray.
Replacing Symancyk as EVP merchandising and marketing is Peter Whitsett, who most recently served as EVP global merchandising for Dick’s Sporting Goods and has an extensive background in leadership roles with such retail brands as Kmart and Radio Shack.
“I am extremely pleased to announce this new role for J.K., as well as the addition of Peter Whitsett to the Meijer team,” Meijer co-chairman and CEO Hank Meijer said. “As we position our company for continued growth, it’s essential that we have the proper structure and talent. This evolution of our leadership team under Mark Murray will help ensure our company’s on-going success in a very competitive industry.”