- Bitcoin gains popularity among retailers
- CVS' Merlo: Health reform to benefit business in 2014
- Reports: Tops Friendly Markets management buys chain from Morgan Stanley Capital Partners
- Supervalu commits to fixing retail banners, reports positive IDs for Save-A-Lot
- CVS Caremark's 'ability' and 'agility' a key focus of 2013 Analyst Day
Consumers still are watching their dollars, as evidenced by solid sales of private-label facial cleansers; however, product innovation also is helping to drive growth among the branded products.
According to SymphonyIRI Group, sales of private-label products took the lead for the 12 weeks ended Oct. 2 at food, drug and mass (excluding Walmart).
However, brands like Clean & Clear, which recently launched its Morning Burst collection, also experienced growth. The smoothie-inspired, fruit-filled facial cleansers come in such exotic scents as mandarin orange, pomegranate and passion fruit, and pineapple and coconut.