- ROUNDTABLE: Pharmacy’s future in sync with technology
- CVS Caremark to stop selling tobacco in all store locations
- EXPERT BLOG: Provider status for pharmacists — one way or another
- New Rite Aid group VP pharmacy initiatives and clinical services to oversee Wellness Ambassador program
- Salix Pharmaceuticals introduces Rx topical foam to treat a form of inflammatory bowel disease
March is National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. In support of that, Boehringer Ingelheim’s Dulcolax brand this year has partnered with the Colon Cancer Alliance. Following is CCA’s CEO Andrew Spiegel on that partnership:
DSN: How has Dulcolax partnered with CCA?
Andrew Spiegel: For 2011, Dulcolax is the title sponsor of the Colon Cancer Alliance’s Undy 5000 5K walk/runs [where] participants are given a pair of boxer-style shorts. … Dulcolax has also included the CCA as a donor for each box of Dulcolax sold during this campaign.
DSN: With the 14 Undy 5000s scheduled for this year, how many walkers and runners are expected to participate?
Spiegel: We expect well over 10,000 walkers to attend these popular walks and tens of thousands more supporting those walkers. Over $1 million will be raised.
DSN: What is the link between a laxative product and colon cancer?
Spiegel: One of the frequent symptoms CRC patients report is a change in the bowel habits. … But it is important to discuss any changes in bowel habits, including changes that might require use of a laxative, with your physician, and discuss whether screening for colorectal cancer makes sense.