- Albertsons to acquire Safeway in deal worth more than $9.1 billion to Safeway shareholders
- Safeway, Albertsons merger proceeds to next step as 'go-shop' period expires
- Safeway receives FTC request for additional information
- Safeway confirms grocer is exploring possible sale
- Safeway names new Eastern Division president
PLEASANTON, Calif. — Safeway on Thursday announced the launch of its Help Us End Hunger (Every Bag Counts) food drive to help make the holidays brighter for people who rely on the assistance of food banks.
The company is joining with customers, Kraft, local food banks and broadcast partners to collect food donations at Safeway stores through Christmas.
To make the donation process easier, a specially produced Every Bag Counts shopping bag filled with the items food banks need the most will be available for $10 at all Safeway stores.
Kraft will provide a special holiday gift in the form of a $1,500 grant to 100 food banks across the country, making for a total donation of $150,000.
Safeway is a long-time supporter of hunger relief effort, donating $119 million in food to the cause in 2012 alone, the grocer stated.