- Publix announces two new openings for North Carolina market
- Kroger to acquire Harris Teeter for $2.5 billion
- CVS Caremark's Merlo attends reception to accept March of Dimes Citizen of the Year award
- Bitcoin gains popularity among retailers
- Harris Teeter acquires six Piggly Wiggly locations, and one future location, in the Charleston, S.C., market
CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Harris Teeter has appointed a lead independent director for its board.
Harris Teeter's board — which recently approved an amendment to the company's bylaws to permit such a role — said that Robert Spilman Jr. would serve as lead independent director. Spilman, who has been on the retailer's board since 2002, will preside at the executive sessions of nonmanagement and independent directors, serve as the principal liaison between the chairman of the board and the independent directors, as well as consult with the chairman of the board regarding information to be sent to the board, meeting agendas and establishing meeting schedules.
Spilman will continue to serve as chairman of the board's corporate governance and nominating committee.
In related news, Harris Teeter's board declared a quarterly dividend of 14 cents per share to be paid on Oct. 1 to shareholders of record on Sept. 7.