- CVS Caremark names Helena Foulkes EVP, chief healthcare strategy and marketing officer
- Kinney Drugs announces retirement of industry veteran Wuest
- Mike Bloom resigns from CVS/pharmacy, assumes president, COO role at Family Dollar
- MinuteClinic forms clinical collaboration with St. Rose Dominican Hospitals
- Pawlenty and ‘who’s who’ of retail pharmacy headline 13th annual Issues Summit
WILLIAMSVILLE, N.Y. — Tops Friendly Markets has entered an agreement with C&S Wholesale Grocers affiliate GU Markets to acquire 21 supermarkets located in upstate New York and Vermont.
Tops said its acquisition will bring its number of operating stores to 153 and will expand Tops' footprint further into areas of northern and eastern New York State and neighboring northern Vermont. For the time being, 20 of the stores will continue to operate under the Grand Union banner, while the other store will continue to operate under the Bryant's banner.
"We are very excited about this growth opportunity for Tops, especially since these stores are a natural extension of our current footprint," Tops Markets president and CEO Frank Curci said. "We are looking forward to having these stores and the surrounding communities become part of the Tops family."
The sale is expected to close by fall 2012 and is subject to customary closing conditions. Specific terms of the agreement were not disclosed.
As previously reported, Tops recently boosted its retail presence with the acquisition of Penn Traffic stores in 2010.