- Safeway launches 'at-the-shelf' SimpleNutrition program
- Conversocial tallies consumer complaint social media scorecard for U.S. retailers
- Safeway partners with Avril Lavigne for annual Support for People with Disabilities campaign
- Safeway prepares to exit Philadelphia market
- Safeway plans IPO for its Blackhawk Network gift card distribution division
PLEASANTON, Calif. — Safeway on Friday said that the leader of its Vons division will retire after serving in the role for more than 10 years.
Tom Keller will retire from his post as president of Vons, a position he has held since 1999, on Feb. 1. An industry veteran that started his career as a food clerk in Safeway's Phoenix division more than 40 years ago, Keller "leaves an important imprint on the organization as an energetic and innovative leader," Safeway chairman, president and CEO Steve Burd said.
Replacing Keller on an interim basis is Gary Rocheleau, VP retail merchandising execution. As a long-time Vons executive, Rocheleau has held a broad range of positions at Safeway at both the retail and the corporate level.