- Walgreens expanding scope of retail pharmacy experience and services heading into fiscal 2014
- ROUNDTABLE: Pharmacy’s future in sync with technology
- Bloomberg: Greg Wasson joins thought leaders to discuss the state of health care in the United States
- Walgreens firing on all cylinders as chain realizes a total comp sales increase of 5.4% for its first quarter
- Report: Specialty pharmacy to account for half of all prescription revenue by 2018
DEERFIELD, Ill. — An alliance between a drug store chain and a national pharmacy benefit manager resulted in more than $3 million in savings over a seven-month period for the PBM clients.
Walgreens said by offering its 90-Day at Retail program to Navitus Health Solutions, which gives all covered members of Navitus PBM clients the 90-day supply option for certain medications from local community pharmacies, resulted in $3.3 million in savings in seven months. What's more, the implementation of the program also has led to an additional six to 11 percentage point improvement in the generic dispensing rate for 90-Day at Retail prescriptions (up to 77.3%) when compared with those filled via mail. This increase is generally driven by the benefit of the face-to-face interaction with the pharmacist where the patient is being advised, if appropriate, that there is a cheaper generic alternative, Walgreens noted.
Walgreens also reported that the penetration rate of its 90-Day at Retail program increased more than 67%. More than 1 million people covered through the Navitus network currently have access to the 90-Day at Retail program.
The program was initiated in February and was measured through September, Walgreens said.
“Results from Navitus’ clients demonstrate what we already know; namely that when they are given the option and made aware of it, employers and consumers see significant value in 90-Day at Retail, and the program can drive lower costs,”said Colin Watts, Walgreens chief innovation officer. “This is key for payers, such as Navitus, who also need to measure and improve outcomes for their members, and is part of the reason our unique set of healthcare solutions is increasingly resonating with payers and employers.”