- New Rite Aid group VP pharmacy initiatives and clinical services to oversee Wellness Ambassador program
- Shoppers Drug Mart report: Allowing pharmacists in Canada to immunize could save lives, money
- Walgreens expanding scope of retail pharmacy experience and services heading into fiscal 2014
- Shot@Life program ambassador Amanda Peet gets flu shot in NYC Walgreens to support 'Get a Shot, Give a Shot'
- Have you had your flu shot this year?
DEERFIELD, Ill. Walgreens is gearing up to offer unprecedented access to flu shots, making immunizations available at all Walgreens locations and Take Care Clinics nationwide, as well as Duane Reade stores.
Only one flu shot is required this season, as the 2010-2011 flu vaccine will protect against H1N1 as well as two other seasonal flu viruses –– an influenza B and H3N2 virus, Walgreens said. The drug store chain said that it would provide vaccinations during its operating hours at both its retail pharmacies and retail health clinic locations, no appointment necessary. Additionally, all Duane Reade locations will provide flu vaccinations by September, with many already offering immunizations.
State, age and health condition-related restrictions may apply.
“We encourage everyone to follow the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s] recommendations, and with flu shots available during nearly all pharmacy and clinic hours at Walgreens, it’s never been easier, never more convenient and never more accessible,” said Walgreens president and CEO Greg Wasson. “Our expansive network of 25,000 immunizers and other healthcare professionals are there when you need us. By providing quality, affordable, preventive healthcare services like flu shots in communities across America, we’ll again play an important role in helping people stay well throughout the flu season.”
In related news, Walgreens also announced that it will offer a direct medical billing option to customers through several insurance carriers, which will allow patients in select plans to have their flu shot billed to their insurance provider without hassle.
Other features and services new to this season’s Walgreens flu shot program include:
- Individual privacy areas – privacy screens provide more personal privacy within the pharmacy setting for flu shot patients, immunizations and other patient care services;
- Evening and weekend hours – for the first time flu shots are available during nearly all pharmacy and clinic hours daily; walk-ins are welcome;
- Online tools – flu shot forms are available online at Walgreens.com/flu as a time-saving tool, enabling patients to complete necessary forms prior to visiting the pharmacy (not available for vaccinations administered at Take Care Clinics or Duane Reade pharmacies); and
- The retail cash price for flu shots at all Walgreens points of care is $29.99. Most Walgreens also will offer the FluMist Intranasal Spray, which is $34.99. Fluzone HD, a high-dose influenza vaccine, also may be available to qualified individuals.