- Walgreens expanding scope of retail pharmacy experience and services heading into fiscal 2014
- CVS Caremark aims to help customers as survey spotlights ACA knowledge gap
- Facing pharmacy trends for the remainder of the year
- Bloomberg: Greg Wasson joins thought leaders to discuss the state of health care in the United States
- CNNMoney sits down with Walgreens chief to discuss future of health care and what it means for pharmacy
DEERFIELD, Ill. — Walgreens and the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association on Wednesday launched a national campaign to educate consumers about the new healthcare reform law and provide them with key information on how to access coverage and understand other changes they may experience as a result of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. The campaign centers on a new web site, LearnAboutReform.com, which offers consumers helpful information about the new ways they will be able to purchase health insurance and the new benefits available to them. Informational brochures will also be offered to consumers at nearly all Walgreens locations across the country.
“The Affordable Care Act will expand access to health insurance for millions of Americans and broaden health benefits, but many Americans have had little experience purchasing health coverage and are confused about what the law means to them,” stated Maureen Sullivan, BCBSA SVP strategic services and chief strategy officer. “Blue Plans have been working hard to help consumers navigate this new environment and the coverage options that are available to them. Our partnership with Walgreens is another example of our commitment to ensuring that all Americans have the tools they need to understand these changes and access affordable health insurance coverage that meets their needs.”
“Walgreens is a trusted community resource for health and wellness information, and through this collaboration we hope the millions of Americans who will be entering the marketplace in October are more informed and better prepared,” added Brad Fluegel, Walgreens SVP and chief strategy officer. “There’s a lot of confusion, a lot of questions and it’ll take a tremendous, collaborative effort to make sure people have the information they need to make informed choices.”
The Affordable Care Act expands access to insurance for millions of Americans who currently lack coverage, providing new protections for American families as well as new options and requirements for employers. It also changes how individuals and some small businesses purchase coverage. The law is complex, and these changes can be a lot to absorb for consumers. This educational campaign will help them understand their options.
LearnAboutReform.com will serve as a comprehensive guide to the law so that consumers can make informed health care choices this fall.
Website features include:
- Easy-to-understand explanations of what the new law means for consumers;
- Frequently asked questions about eligibility for federal financial assistance, the individual mandate and penalties for not purchasing insurance;
- An explanation of the enrollment process, and how the new Health Insurance Marketplace or “exchanges” will work;
- Interactive links to a glossary of terms related to healthcare reform; and
- The campaign also will include informational brochures and signage in Walgreens locations nationwide to encourage consumers to learn about reform and the new exchanges.
Like this story? Find us on Facebook for more insight, analysis and the latest in drug store news. Join the conversation.