- Walmart rolling out comprehensive waste-reduction program
- Coming to Weis shelves: Lichi superfruit diet supplement
- Walmart, Walgreens, Supervalu join First Lady to combat food deserts
- FDA approves Merck's Gardasil for prevention of anal cancer
- Weis Lifestyle Initiatives now part of pharmacy division
SUNBURY, Pa. — The Professional Recyclers of Pennsylvania recently recognized Weis Markets for its commitment to recycling and its innovative program to recycle waxed cardboard used to ship and store fresh vegetables and meats, the grocer announced Monday.
In 2010, Weis Markets teamed up with Envirolog to recycle its waxed cardboard and produce Envirolog fireplace logs, which are sold in Weis Markets stores. Typically, supermarkets send most of their waxed cardboard to landfills since it is difficult to recycle.
Today, all 163 Weis Markets stores participate in this recycling program.
“We are extremely proud of our store associates for making our company’s waxed cardboard recycling program a success,” stated Kevin Small, Weis Markets VP store development. “This program has helped us reduce our store waste and our reliance on landfills. It also represents our commitment to finding new ways to reduce our carbon footprint and to improve our sustainability practices.”