Meijer to begin accepting beverage container returns
After temporarily discontinuing beverage container returns in March due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Meijer will once again begin accepting them beginning June 15.
When making these returns, the Grand Rapids, Mich.-based company is asking shoppers to follow a set guideline, which includes:
- Separating bottles and cans before coming to the store in order to keep the flow of customers moving;
- Have all cans and bottles be drained and placed in clean bags or containers before coming to the store;
- Only bring beverage container brands that are sold at Meijer;
- Understand that the maximum amount of returnable containers is $25 per visit;
- Plan accordingly as bottle return rooms will be busy; and
- Practice social distancing and wear a face covering.
“These last few months have posed numerous challenges, but we appreciate the patience of all our customers and team members as we navigated through them together,” Todd Weer, the Meijer senior vice president of stores said. “We know there is an abundance of beverage containers waiting to be recycled, so we're asking all of our customers to please be patient and respectful toward each other as we deal with a volume of returnable containers that we've never seen before.”