An NACDS website dedicated to COVID-19 response includes a series of maps that display the state-by-state status of action on a sample of NACDS’ key recommendations. Separate maps show the following:
- States’ overall progress to foster safe and efficient pharmacy operations and patients’ access to care;
- Empowerment of pharmacists to use their expertise to change patients’ medications to address any shortages; the authority of pharmacists to provide COVID-19 testing;
- The ability for pharmacies to enhance remote processing of certain functions related to filling prescriptions;
- Waivers related to various licensing requirements; and
- Waivers of signature requirements for delivered prescriptions to foster social distancing.
NACDS in March issued an open letter to the White House, to congressional leadership and to governors regarding urgent needs to help pharmacies and pharmacists meet the needs of those affected by COVID-19 and by other illnesses that otherwise could go unmanaged given the pandemic. The open letter contains detailed recommendations that NACDS has urged since the focus on COVID-19 intensified.