Schnucks awards 2nd bonus to front-line employees
Schnucks is showing appreciation for its teammates during the pandemic. The company is awarding its second cash bonus to store employees.
In a letter to customers, Todd Schnuck, chairman and CEO of Schnuck Markets expressed gratitude to employees. “Our teammates and communities are counting on us in a way that perhaps they never have before, and our commitment during these difficult times remains as steadfast as ever. To show our appreciation for how hard our store teammates are working to serve you, we are awarding them with a second cash bonus. This is in addition to bonuses we awarded teammates last month."
Schnuck also said the company is providing employees with a pay plan that includes options for those who contract COVID-19 or who are subject to a mandatory quarantine.
The company also is reaching out to the community, supporting several local restaurants during the pandemic by selling their grab and go meals in select stores.
"We continue to work to add more restaurant partners to even more stores. We have also partnered with more than 75 local restaurants to purchase in-store catering that is served to our teammates at no cost to them," said Schnuck.
Schnuck added, "We are humbled by the overwhelming generosity of our customers through our recent “Round up at the Register”, which saw customers donate $225,400 to the United Way for COVID-19 relief. Schnucks added $24,600 to our customers’ contributions, resulting in a grand total of $250,000. Schnucks previously donated $605,000 to support COVID-19 relief and those experiencing hardship due to the novel coronavirus pandemic. We continue to donate nutritious food to over 300 agency partners across the five states we serve. We donated more than $16 million in food in 2019, and we remain committed to fighting hunger and food insecurity."
Schnuck also thanked customers for their support and outlined the following protective measures that the company is taking:
- Provide teammates with facemasks and require that they be worn while working;
- Limit the number of customers inside our stores and ask that there be only one shopper per household when possible;
- Keep plexiglass barriers at checklanes, pharmacies, and service counters;
- Run in-store messaging over our public announcement system every 15 minutes reminding everyone of the importance of social distancing;
- In store signage, floor decals, and teammate uniform shirts, all of which also carry messaging about social distancing;
- A Store Status page on the company website, with the most up-to-date information during this pandemic, and an online Store Queue, with the latest information about customer traffic at any store that has state-mandated reduced occupancy; and
- Take each teammate’s temperature prior to the start of his or her shift, as well as ask a series of questions about COVID-19 symptoms.