Schnucks kicks off community-wide step challenge
Schnucks Markets is expanding its gym partnership and healthy kids’ field trip programs.
The company is inviting customers to join its community-wide step challenge, which come on the heels of a recent decision to stop selling tobacco products.
“We know that lots of people start the New Year with a new resolve to make healthier choices, so Schnucks is working to help our customers jump-start healthy habits for 2020 and beyond,” Kara Behlke, Schnucks’ director of health and wellness said. “Our customers often tell us that health and wellness is important to them and that alone means it’s important to Schnucks.”
The company’s efforts include launching its first ever community-wide step challenge, open to those in Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, and Wisconsin — the five states in which the company operates.
Participants who log 50,000 steps or more now through Feb. 29, 2020, will be entered into a drawing for a chance to win 50,000 Schnucks Rewards points – the equivalent of $100. Those interested in joining the challenge may do so by first using their smartphone to text the word ‘STEPS’ to 27126, then clicking on the response link they receive to download the Stridekick app to their phone. The app includes health and wellness tips, the ability to earn kudos for reaching certain activity milestones, and a live leaderboard where participants can check their progress against others. Complete contest rules are available online.
Schnucks’ other health and wellness offerings include its ‘Eat Good to Feel Great’ program, which includes:
- Schnucks partnering with health-focused brands to offer in-store signage and displays that make it easy for customers to find healthier options.
- The January edition of the company’s Simply Schnucks magazine is filled with more than 50 recipes to help customers build healthy meal plans.
- Resources at Schnucks.com where customers can check out healthy recipes and tips, details about Schnucks sponsored fitness classes, and information about signing up for store tours that are focused on healthy options.
- “Try before you buy” company-wide healthy product demo events each Saturday throughout January.
- Sponsoring the NHL All-Star 5K in downtown St. Louis on Jan. 25.
- As a part of the company’s continuing efforts to support those who are seeking to quit tobacco, the company is continuing to offer double Schnucks Rewards points on all smoking cessation products. Schnucks is also promoting smoking cessation classes that are offered by the St. Louis City Mayor’s Office.
“Schnucks is going all in on health and wellness because we believe that when we work together with our customers, we can create healthier generations,” said Behlke.