Walgreens Boots Alliance annual ESG virtual event convenes industry leaders for report launch
As part of its purpose, more joyful lives through better health, Walgreens Boots Alliance has launched its fiscal year 2022 ESG report detailing the brand’s impact in communities around the world.
To celebrate the launch, WBA recently hosted a virtual event, featuring report highlights and discussions with ESG thought leaders.
In addition to sharing the company’s progress on a range of initiatives within the four pillars of its health-centered ESG strategy – Healthy Communities, Healthy and Inclusive Workplace, Healthy Planet and Sustainable Marketplace – company and industry leaders participated in thought-provoking discussions on topics including health equity, sustainability, disability hiring and more.
"I am very proud of the impact WBA continues to make in the communities we serve and beyond, as we look to build a healthier and better world through our ESG efforts, initiatives and partnerships," said Ornella Barra, WBA's chief operating officer, international and chair of the ESG committee. "Our ESG report further illustrates WBA’s commitment to our four pillars and the strong progress we continue to make. From providing prenatal vitamins to expectant mothers in need, to improving access to healthcare services in socially vulnerable communities, to expanding programs focused on responsible sourcing and product transparency – it is a testament to our partners, and our team members around the globe who live our purpose every day, to create more joyful lives through better health.”
[Read more: Walgreens Boots Alliance reportedly weighing $2B sale of pharmacy automation unit iA]
Health care is at the center of WBA's ESG framework, reflecting the company’s vision to be the leading partner in reimagining local healthcare and wellbeing for all.
The fiscal year 2022 report highlights WBA’s prominent role in combating the COVID-19 pandemic with a focus on health equity, the launch of its clinical trials business and its efforts to increase the representation of people of color in leadership roles and much more.
- Administered approximately 36 million COVID-19 vaccinations during fiscal year 2022;
- Donated $100 million to support the health and wellbeing of communities around the world;
- Achieved 21.2% carbon emissions reduction against goal to reduce carbon emissions by 30% by 2030 compared with 2019 baseline;
- Boots UK awarded Company of the Year at British Diversity Awards and Walgreens ranked 40 on the 2022 DiversityInc Top 50 Companies for Diversity;
- Became a Sustainable Procurement Pledge champion driving awareness and knowledge of sustainable procurement practices; and
- WBA named to Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index for third consecutive year.
[Read more: Walgreens-controlled VillageMD acquires Starling Physicians]
WBA ESG Report Virtual Launch Event Recap
- WBA leaders, partners and guest speakers conducted discussions on critical ESG themes and topics, including:
- How great partnerships drive equitable health access and transform communities;
- The evolving landscape of sustainability;
- Disability hiring and inclusion; and
- Developing sustainable brands that support a resilient supply chain.
The event featured remarks and conversation from a range of leaders, including:
- Roz Brewer, CEO, Walgreens Boots Alliance
- Amy Brachio, global deputy vice chair, sustainability, EY
- Kris Licht, president, health and global chief customer officer, Reckitt
- Joe Riddle, director of Neurodiversity in the Workplace
Download the full ESG report here. To view a replay of the event, please visit here.